The (less than) definitive guide to all things listable in 2009.

Monday, January 8, 2007

Keely's Lists

Keely's Top 10 of 2006
01 - Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood - I knew this album was going to be #1 from the first time I heard it.
02 - Band of Horses - Everything All the Time - These guys remind me of Guster in that they're nice and fun to listen to. Hopefully they won't start sucking like Guster.
03 - Old Crow Medicine Show - Big Iron World - Yes, Kyle, it does sound like their last album, but since I loved their last one, I love this one too. Plus, there's no equivalent to "James River Blues" on the last one.
04 - Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit - While at work before Finn was born I used to alternate listening to Neko and Belle & Sebastian all day long. I haven't listened to this album a lot lately, but I still love it.
05 - Peter Bjorn & John - Writer's Block - I love these guys. If you haven't taken Kyle's advice and watched the video for "Young Folks" - do it.
06 - Calexico - Garden Ruin - Not much to say here. I just think it's a fun album.
07 - Amy Millan - Honey From the Tombs - Amy's great, but I don't think the cover "art" on the cd matches the music style.
08 - M. Ward - Post-War - I went back and forth about including this because I listen it to it a lot and really, really love the faster paced songs. I could take or leave some of the slower songs, but still think it's worthy of the #8 spot.
09 - The Hold Steady - Boys & Girls in America - I really like this album, which I guess makes me a frat boy.
10 - Destroyer - Destroyer's Rubies - This may be deserving of a higher place, but for now it's at #10.

Honorable Mentions
TV On the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
My Brightest Diamond - Bring Me the Workhorse
Sufjan Stevens - The Avalanche
Wooden Wand & The Sky High Band - Second Attention
Micah P. Hinson - Micah P. Hinson & The Opera Circuit

Overrated
Beirut - Gulag Orkester - I like the song "Postcards from Italy," but not the rest. Maybe I just don't get it.
Joanna Newsom - Ys - Am I the only one who doesn't find it pleasurable to listen to a pre-teen sounding elf "sing" while randomly plucking strings on her harp? Joanna, I have one word for you: chorus. Try it.
Regina Spektor - It's ok.


Missed the boat in 2005
Jens Lekman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - You're So Silent, Jens
Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days
Iron & Wine/Calexico - In the Reins
Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah - S/T

Other Media
Lost
Inconvenient Truth
Little Miss Sunshine

Books
What is the What - Dave Eggers - For those of you I haven't told, this is the best book I have read in a long, long time. Buy it and read it now.
The Keep - Jennifer Egan

Stay tuned for more books - I'm on a lot of waiting lists at the library.

No comments: