The (less than) definitive guide to all things listable in 2009.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Adam's Top Ten of Death


Is it possible that I finally like female artists? I put three in my top ten and I could have slid Jenny Lewis and Neko Case in there too. It will probably just be a temporary thing.


The Ten

  1. Decemberists – Crane Wife - This is a sweet album and it doesn't matter that some of the songs are not great, because others make up the difference. Sorry Metallica, but this is America's Best Band…..period.
  2. Cat Power – The Greatest - She started taking depression meds and look what happened.
  3. Regina Spektor – Begin to Hope – I resisted this album at first when Nicole thought it was great. She was right. It might be something that fades, but it's awesome right now.
  4. Ray LaMontagne – Til the Sun Turns Black – I don't care if people think this is a boring album, it relaxes me.
  5. Badly Drawn Boy – Born in the U.K. – See above.
  6. Band of Horses – Everything All the Time – It seems like I only listen to all the same kind of crap.
  7. Bob Dylan – Modern Times – Eat shit everyone. There are some great songs on this one. Mickey stopped listening as soon as Bob dropped an Alicia Keyes reference—I say start listening!!!! Workingman's Blues #2 is my favorite.
  8. Johnny Cash – American V – Really sad music. Each song more depressing than the next. I love it!!
  9. Joanna Newsome - Ys – Weird and not as good as her previous, but very complex.
  10. Destroyer – Rubies – I like Painter in My Pocket the best.

Other Great Artists of the Year


Midlake – They put out a damn fine record that almost hit the top ten.

Jenny Lewis – She is old school!

Neko Case- She sings a pretty song.

Islands – I love them, but I can only take them in small doses.

Rock Plaza Central – I swear you are Neutral Milk Hotel wannabes and I love you for that.


Artists that Suck


Justin Timberlake – Your new album is horrible. Just horrible.

Guster – Why do you choose to be so crappy still? Drop your bass guy and ditch the kit. People may start to respect you again.

Mason Jennings – I pulled out your old stuff again and it is still great, then I listened to Boneclouds again. C'mon dude, either lighten up or stop trying so hard.

Alan Sparhawk – Solo Guitar was the most ridiculous thing I heard all year. It was dumb.


Top Four Skoro Sightings of 2006


4. I saw him at the 311 club a couple weeks ago as he was starting his 6 PM Sunday shift. I finished my bloody mary and left.

3. I saw him at the Jens Lekman concert after we got there late and missed his set. He got some beer at the bar and then went backstage.

2. After seeing him for the first time after he moved back from Pittsburg, I proceeded to get drunk and then unintentionally insult him and then leave the 331 Club.

1. I nearly hit him with my car as he weaved through traffic on his bike.


Artist of the Year

Surprise, it's Ryan Adams – He released 14 new albums of material on his website that Wade Laughlin should appreciate or possibly could have made himself. You have to listen to the album Christmas Apocalypse 2 by his alter ego The Shit. He has songs called ABCDACDCXMAS and Cokey Christmas. Everything there is completely worthless and very funny.

1 comment:

Micah Whetstone said...

I am with you about BD, my boy! Everyone can take a lesson from "Tubby" & eat sh:t. Honestly, were his comments so outrageous!? He only said 20 years! Comon & add a decade fella! Maybe even more (I'm surprised he didn't (well, cept that then he'd be stepping on Blood On The Tracks)) Aside from Time Out of Mind in '97, all music has been atrocious, small, & no definition of nothing. MP3s are miniscule.